elastic torsion of a bar under a torque
- Torsion occurs primarily on axles and drive shafts in motor vehicles and machines.
- The torsion occurring in the shaft cause cross-sections of the shaft to be pushed together around the longitudinal axis.
- When a torque is applied to a shaft the cross-section remains flat and no warpage occurs.
- In the event of minor torsion, the length and radius remain unchanged.
- The straight lines on the outer circumference of the shaft running parallel to the axis become helixes.
- Non-circular cross-sections mostly result in warpage.
- SE 110.29investigates the torsion of a bar under a torque.
- The bar is clamped into two movable support blocks by a chuck.
- The torque is generated by a circular disk, a deflection roller and a weight.
- The clamping length and torque can be varied.
- The resultant torsion is read-off at two random points on the bar by means of angle indicators.
- The fundamentals of elastic torsion are illustrated by the round bar.
- Three other bars are provided in order to investigate special cases: two thin-walled enclosed sections (a tube and a square tube) and a longitudinally slotted tube (thin-walled open section).
- All the component elements of the experiment are clearly laid-out and housed securely in a storage system.
- The complete experimental setup is arranged in the frame SE 112.
- elastic torsion of bars
- 2 movable support blocks with clamping chuck for mounting of bars, 1 fixed and 1 movable support
- 2 movable angle indicators clampable to the bar
- 4 bars: round bar with full cross-section, tube, longitudinally slotted tube, square tube
- application of load to the bar by a mass disk, a deflection roller and weights
- storage system to house the components
- experimental setup in frame SE 112
4 brass bars, L=695mm:
- round bar, Ø=6mm
- tube, slotted tube Ø=6mm, wall thickness: 1mm, slot width: 0,3mm
- square tube WxH: 6mm, wall thickness: 1mm
Disk to apply the load:
- effective radius: 110mm
- measuring range: ±90°
- graduation: 1°
- 1x 1N (hanger)
- 4x 1N
- 3x 5N
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 1170x480x178mm (storage system)
- Weight: approx. 27kg (total)
- torsion of a bar
- shear modulus of elasticity and second polar moment of area
- angle of twist dependent on clamping length
- angle of twist dependent on torque
- influence of rigidity on torsion
- round bar with full cross-section
- tube, longitudinally slotted
- square tube
- calculation of angle of twist
- comparison of calculated and measured angle of twist
Scope of delivery:
- 2 support blocks with clamping chuck
- 2 angle indicators
- 4 bars
- 1 deflection roller with fixture
- 1 cable
- 1 set of weights
- 2 hexagon socket wrenches
- 1 storage system with foam inlay
- 1 set of instructional material
- elastic torsion of a bar under a torque
- round bar, tube, longitudinally slotted tube and square tube as test bars
- indication of the angle of twist at two random points on the bar
· Required: SE 112 Mounting frame
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.