various load cases: point load, distributed load, moving load
- Bridges are often constructed as three-hinged arches.
- This type of construction is particularly suitable when compression-proof building materials are available.
- Horizontal thrust occurs in the arch at the supports.
- It permits much lower bending moments in the arch than in the case of a beam on two supports with the same span.
- A significant longitudinal compressive force is active in the arch to produce this effect.
- A three-hinged arch consists of a curved beam mounted on two fixed supports, and usually featuring the so-called crown hinge at its crown.
- The hinges on the two fixed supports absorb vertical and horizontal forces, and are known as abutment hinges.
- Their connecting line is the springing line.
- The crown hinge renders the system statically determinate.
- SE 110.17includes two long arch segments and one short segment, of which two at a time are connected by a hinged joint producing a symmetrical or unsymmetrical three-hinged arch.
- The arch under investigation can be subjected to point, distributed or moving load.
- Weights compensate for the support reactions of an abutment hinge, so enabling a comparison between calculated and actual measured values.
- All the component elements of the experiment are clearly laid-out and housed securely in a storage system.
- The complete experimental setup is arranged in the frame SE 112.
- investigation of 2 statically determinate three-hinged arches
- hinged arch with 3 hinges: 1 crown hinge, 2 abutment hinges at the support points
- 3 arch segments: 2x long (together making a symmetrical arch), 1x short (together with 1x long: unsymmetrical arch)
- arch subjected to point load, distributed load (each by loads) or moving load
- loads to compensate for the support reactions of an abutment hinge
- storage system to house the components
- experimental setup in frame SE 112
- 2x long: 480mm, total arch length: 960mm
- 1x short: 230mm, total arch length: 710mm
- arch height: 250mm
- 4x 1N (hanger)
- 36x 1N
- 16x 5N
- moving load: 10N+20N
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 1170x480x178mm (storage system)
- Weight: approx. 56kg (total)
- familiarisation with three-hinged arches (unsymmetrical and symmetrical)
- application of the method of sections and the conditions of equilibrium to calculate the support forces for
- point load, distributed load, moving load
- investigation of the influence of the load on the horizontal thrust in the supports
- determination of the lines of influence for the supports under a moving load
- comparison of the calculated and measured support reactions for static and moving load
Scope of Delivery:
- 3 arch segments
- 1 moving load
- 2 supports
- 1 set of weights
- 1 set of accessories
- 2x storage system with foam inlay
- 1 set of instructional material
- statically determinate three-hinged arch
- symmetrical or unsymmetrical arch
Required: SE 112 Mounting frame
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.