investigation of mass moments of inertia in rotating, rigid bodies
- The resistance with which a rigid body opposes a change to its rotation is indicated by the mass moment of inertia.
- Here, the behaviour of the body depends on its mass and the distribution of this mass relative to the axis of rotation.
- Mathematically, the quotient of the rotary moment and the angular acceleration is the mass moment of inertia.
- The TM 610unit can be used to study mass moments of inertia of rotating bodies (hollow cylinder or solid cylinder).
- The experimental unit is clamped to a table-top plate via two support rods.
- A support rod supports the rotary axis with the studied body.
- The rotary axis is accelerated by a weight, pulley and cable with a drum.
- This results in a uniformly accelerated rotational motion.
- Using the measured time, mass and acceleration distance, we can calculate the mass moment of inertia.
- Systems with different masses and mass distributions can be studied in various geometries.
- Using a rotating bar with masses, it is possible to study the mass moment of inertia as a function of the radius.
- investigation of the inertia of various bodies in rotational motion
- hollow cylinder, solid cylinder or rotating bar with masses as a rotating body
- generate a uniformly accelerated rotational motion via weight, pulley and cable drum
- rotating bar: adjustable position of the mass to realise different radii
- measure the time and the acceleration distance
- position and fix the parts via table clamps
- Rotating bar
- length: 550mm
- masses: 2x 0,1kg, 2x 0,2kg, 2x 0,4kg
- Solid cylinder
- diameter: 120mm
- mass: 0,9kg
- Hollow cylinder
- outer diameter: 120mm
- inner diameter: 110mm
- mass: 0,9kg
- Weight for the drive
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 730x180x480mm (set-up)
- Weight: approx. 13kg
- investigation of the inertia of rigid bodies in rotational motion
- determine mass moments of inertia of different, regularly shaped bodies
- investigation of the mass moment of inertia as a function of the radius
Scope of Delivery:
- 1 experimental unit
- 1 set of instructional material
- Optional: WP 300.09Laboratory trolley
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.