for testing the hardness properties of rock, Standard impact energy, 2.207 Nm.
The features of the hammer make it ideal for rock testing applications:
- Impact Angle Independence: The rebound value is independent of the impact direction.
- Optimised for Field Work: Tighter sealing against dirt and dust intrusion for longer life. Significantly lighter and more ergonomic than the classic Schmidt hammer. A large number of readings can be saved and downloaded later to a PC.
- Pre-set Statistics: Statistics methods recommended by ISRM and ASTM are implemented into the hammer for automatic calculation of the rebound number. The option is also there to define a user specific statistics method.
- Unconfined Compressive Strength: ISRM recommends a correlation between UCS and the rebound value based on the formula
- UCS = aebR (where R is the rebound value). A correlation in this format may be defined in the PC software and downloaded onto the Rock Schmidt.
- E-Modulus: ISRM recommends a correlation between elastic modulus and the rebound value based on the formula Et = cedR (where R is the rebound value). A correlation in this format may be defined in the PC software and downloaded onto the Rock Schmidt.
- Weathering Grade: Impacting on the same location twice can be used to correlate to weathering grade. The ISRM recommended method has been included in the device.
- Geomorphological applications which investigate the bulk hardness properties of a rock outcrop
- Prediction of weathering grades
- Relative dating of landforms such as moraines and rock glaciers
- Correlation to Unconfined (or Uniaxial) Compressive Strength (UCS)
- Correlation to Young’s Modulus
- Prediction of penetration rates for tunnel boring machines and rotary drum cutters
- Testing on cores ≥ 84 mm Ø ≥ 54.7mm Ø
- Testing on rectangular blocks > 100mm thick
- Standard impact energy, 2.207 Nm.
- Recommended for field work.
- For core testing ISRM recommends that cores should be at least moderate strength (> 80 MPa) and at least T2 size (≥ 84 mm).
Rock Schmidt Type N, including battery charger with USB cable, DVD with PC software, carrying strap, grinding stone, documentation and carrying bag
|Impact energy||(N) 2.207 Nm, (L) 0.735 Nm|
|Spring extension||75 mm (2.95″)|
|Plunger radius||25 mm (0.98″|
|Dimensions of housing||55 x 55 x 250 mm (2.16″ x 2.16″ x 9.84″)|
|No. of impacts in a series||Maximum 99|
|Memory capacity dependent on length of test series|
|Example||400 series with 10 values per series|
|Example||200 series with 20 values per series|
|Display||17 x 71 pixels; graphic|
|Battery lifetime||>5000 impacts between charges|
|Charger connection||USB type B (5V, 100 mA)|
|Operating temperature||0 to 50°C|
|Storage temperature||-10 to 70°C|
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.