Compacted Road Base and Sub-base Soils
|Code||UTS-1050 (Model 3440P)|
|Standards||ASTM D 2950, C 1040, D 6938|
- The Troxler RoadReader nuclear moisture / density gauges are used by many contractors, engineers and highway departments for compaction control of soil, aggregate, concrete and full asphalt.
- The ASTM standards numbers D 2922, D 3017, D 2950 and C 1040 are met or exceeded by these gauges. Two test models are available for density determination: Direct transmission and Backscatter.
- The operator selects the mode depending on the material type and thickness of the layer being tested.
- The model 3430 is available with keypad, display and operator’s manual in languages and is the simplest most economical gauge offered by Troxler.
- The Model 3440 provides 30 special functions, storage of up to 1000 test records, an 18-month warranty and many more options that make it simple to operate and a necessity for all technicians.
Three Test Modes:
- Backscatter is rapid and non-destructive.
- The gamma source and detectors remain inside the gauge which rests on the surface of the test material.
- Gamma rays enter the test material and those scattered through the material and reaching the detectors are counted.
- Backscatter is primarily used to determine density on layers of asphalt and concrete approximately 4″ thick.
- DIRECT TRANSMISSION:
- The gamma source is positioned at a specific depth within the test material by insertion into an access hole.
- Gamma rays are transmitted through the test material to detectors located within the gauge.
- The average density between the gamma source and the detectors is then determined.
- Errors resulting from surface roughness and chemical composition of the test material are greatly reduced and gauge accuracy is improved.
- Direct transmission is used for testing lifts of soil, aggregate, asphalts and concrete up to 12″ depth.
- MOISTURE DETECTION:
- The moisture measurement is non-destructive with the neutron source and detector located inside the gauge just above the surface of the test material.
- Fast neutrons enter the test material and are slowed after colliding with the hydrogen atoms present.
- The helium 3 detector in the gauge counts the number of thermalized (slowed) neutrons which relates directly to the amount of moisture in the sample.
Both Models Offer:
- Direct readout of wet density, dry density, moisture, %moisture, %voids and %compaction.
- Powered by rechargeable nicad batteries or backup alkaline batteries
- Prompts user through steps of operation
- Software allows for moisture, density and trench offsets
- Data storage- stores up to 1000 complete test records which can be downloaded to a printer or computer.
- Extended storage-gauge allows notes to be stored with test record.
- Automatic indexing-eliminates a major source of operator error by automatically sensing depth of measurement.
- 30 special functions provided-self test and service programs, selected precision and field calibration for special materials.
- Calculator mode with storage.
- Nomograph method for measurement of asphalt overlays.
|Measurement (U.S. Customary Units)|
|Direct Transmission Density (6″) Pcf=lb/ft3||15 sec.||1 min.||4 min.|
|Precision at 120 pcf||±0.42 pcf||±0.21 pcf||±0.11 pcf|
|Composition error at 120 pcf||±1.25 pcf||±1.25 pcf||±1.25 pcf|
|Surface error (0.05″, 100% Void)||-1.1 pcf||-1.1 pcf||-1.1 pcf|
|Backscatter (98%) (4″)||15 sec.||1 min.||4 min.|
|Precision at 120 pcf||±1.00 pcf||±0.50 pcf||±0.25 pcf|
|Composition error at 120 pcf||±2.50 pcf||±2.50 pcf||±2.50 pcf|
|Surface error (0.05″, 100% Void)||-4.7 pcf||-4.7 pcf||-4.7 pcf|
|Moisture at 15 pcf||15 sec.||1 min.||4 min.|
|Precision at 15 pcf||±0.64 pcf||±0.32 pcf||±0.16 pcf|
|Surface error (0.05″, 100% Void) Depth of measurement|
@ 15 pcf (8.45″)
|Measurement (S.I. Units)|
|Direct Transmission Density-150mm||15 sec.||1 min.||4 min.|
|Precision at 2000 kg/m3||±6.8 kg/m3||±3.4 kg/m3||±1.7 kg/m3|
|Composition error at 2000 kg/m3||±20.0 kg/m3||±20.0 kg/m3||±20.0 kg/m3|
|Surface error (1.25mm, 100% Void)||-17.0 kg/m3||-17.0 kg/m3||-17.0 kg/m3|
|Backscatter (98%) (100mm)||15 sec.||1 min.||4 min.|
|Precision at 2000 kg/m3||±16.0 kg/m3||±8.0 kg/m3||±4.0 kg/m3|
|Composition error at 2000 kg/m3||±40.0 kg/m3||±40.0 kg/m3||±40.0 kg/m3|
|Surface error (1.25mm, 100% Void)||-75.0 kg/m3||-75.0 kg/m3||-75.0 kg/m3|
|Moisture||15 sec.||1 min.||4 min.|
|Precision at 250 kg/m3||±10.3 kg/m3||±5.1 kg/m3||±2.6 kg/m3|
|Surface error (1.25mm, 100% Void)|
Meas. Depth @ 250 kg/m3 – 212.5mm
|-18.0 kg/m3||-18.0 kg/m3||-18.0 kg/m3|
|Gamma Source||8 mCi ±10% Cs-137|
|Neutron Source||0.060 mCi ±10% Cf-252 or|
40 mCi ±10% Am-241: Be
|Source Housing||Stainless Steel Encapsulation|
|Shielding||Tungsten, lead and cadmium|
|Surface Dose Rates||19 mrem/hr max., neutron and gamma|
|Source Rod Material||Stainless Steel|
|Shipping Case||DOT 7A, Type A Yellow label II, Tl=0.3|
|Case||High Impact Plastic: 75L x 35W x 42 T in.|
|Vibration Test||0.1 in. (2.5 mm) @ 12.5 hz|
|Drop Test||300 mm on 25 mm diameter steel ball|
|Operating Temp:||Ambient: 14 to 158°F (-10 to 70°C) Surface: 350°F (175°C)|
|Storage Temp.||-70 to 185°F (-55 to 85°C)|
|Weight||29 lbs. (13.2 kg)|
|Shipping Weight||90 lbs. (40.8 kgs) w/case|
|Available Models||8″ or 12″ index rod with 1″ or 2″ increments|
(200- or 300-mm index rod with 25- or 50-mm increments)
|Time Accuracy and Stability||0.005%, 0.0002% / °C|
|Power Supply Stability||0.01% / °C|
|Stored Power||30-watt hours|
|Battery Recharge Time||14-16 hours (automatic cutoff)|
|Charger||110/220 V ac, 50-60 Hz or 12-14 V dc|
|Readout||2 x 16 alpha-numeric liquid crystal display|
|· Gauge returns to Gauge Ready (power saving mode) after two minutes of inactivity, except in standard, stat test, drift test, and in nomograph programs when a 30-minute delay is provided.|
· After 5 hours of inactivity, gauge performs complete power shut-down.
· Battery packs are fully protected against overcharge and over discharge.
· Emergency Use – Capable of operation with D size alkaline batteries.
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.