articulated beam with two cantilever beams and a suspended beam as an example of a typical bridge
- Many bridges are executed as Gerber beams. Bridges are subjected to moving loads.
- Consequently, it is important to take these moving loads into account in the design process.
- To that end, the so-called lines of influence are determined.
- Lines of influence describe static reactions to a moving load, such as the internal reactions of the beam or support reactions.
- The lines of influence are determined by way of method of sections and the conditions of equilibrium, in the same way as the bending moment diagram for a static load for example.
- A Gerber beam is an articulated beam, in the case of SE 110.12with two cantilever beams and a suspended beam between them.
- Two supports support each cantilever beam.
- The suspended beam is mounted on articulated supports on each of the cantilever beam arms.
- As a result, the entire beam is statically determinate.
- The cantilever beam supports are equipped with force gauges which indicate the support reactions.
- Single loads and a moving load are provided to place load on the beam.
- This means the beam can be subjected to point or distributed loads, or to a moving load.
- The force gauges indicate the effect of a moving load directly in the support reactions.
- The supports are movable.
- All the component elements of the experiment are clearly laid-out and housed securely in a storage system.
- The complete experimental setup is arranged in the frame SE 112.
- investigation of the lines of influence in a statically determinate Gerber beam under different loading
- Gerber beam comprising 2 cantilever beams and 1 suspended beam
- suspended beam mounted by articulated supports on cantilever beams
- beam subjected to moving load or loaded down by single loads
- 4 movable supports with force gauge
- storage system to house the components
- experimental setup in frame SE 112
- total length: 1220mm
- cantilever beam length: 503mm
- suspended beam length: 250mm
Force gauge: ±50N
- 24x 5N
- 12x 1N
- moving load: 10+20N
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 1170x480x178mm (storage system)
- Weight: approx. 40kg (total)
- familiarisation with a Gerber beam
- application of the method of sections and the conditions of equilibrium to calculate the support forces for
- point load
- distributed load
- moving load
- determination of the internal reactions under static load
- shear force curve
- bending moment diagram
- determination of the lines of influence under moving load
- comparison of the calculated and measured reactions for static and moving load
Scope of Delivery:
- 1 Gerber beam (2 cantilever beams + 1 suspended beam)
- 4 supports with force gauge
- 1 moving load
- 1 set of weights
- 1 storage system with foam inlay
- 1 set of instructional material
- direct indication of reactions
- lines of influence for different load cases
Required: SE 112 Mounting frame
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.