investigation of a universal joint shaft
- Universal joint shafts are joint shafts that transfer a torque and a rotational motion.
- A universal joint combines two non-aligned shafts.
- In a universal joint, the torque and the speed are non-uniformly transmitted.
- This non-uniform transmission is called the gimbal error.
- This is remedied by using two universal joints connected to each other by an intermediate shaft.
- This combination is referred to as the cardan shaft or the universal joint shaft.
- The KI 150unit can be used to study a universal joint shaft.
- A universal joint is also known as Hooke’s coupling.
- The experimental unit comprises two universal joints with intermediate shafts.
- The arrangement of the universal joints and the deflection angle can be set using two rotary disks on the base plate.
- On the drive side, the input angle is set and read by the drive universal joint.
- The intermediate shaft transmits the torque to the driven universal joint.
- The output rotation angle is read.
- The gimbal error is determined from the difference between the two angles.
- The elements are mounted on a base plate.
- Two handles make it easy to carry the unit.
- investigation of a universal joint shaft
- adjustment of the layout of the universal joints and the deflection angle via two rotary plates
- adjustment of the input angle of the drive universal joint
- measure the output angle of rotation
- determine the angular difference
- Universal joint
- quantity: 2
- standard parts to DIN808
- stainless steel
- quantity: 3
- diameter: 16mm
- stainless steel
- ball bearings
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 360x280x200mm
- Weight: approx. 3kg
- representation of the non-uniform transmission of a universal joint
- determine the gimbal error
- how the arrangement of the universal joints and the deflection angle affect the gimbal error
Scope of Delivery:
- 1 kinematic model
- 1 set of instructional material
- Optional: WP 300.09Laboratory trolley
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.