elastic deformation of curved-axis beams
- In construction engineering, a distinction is made between beams and arches.
- An arch is a statically indeterminate supported structure with a curved axis and two fixed supports or clamp fixings.
- The supports of an arch (such as a double-articulated arch) absorb forces vertically and horizontally.
- The ends of the arch in the supports do not move.
- This produces the static arching effect of the system.
- In mechanical engineering, crane hooks and chain links are typical examples of a curved beam.
- FL 170includes three different beams, borne on statically determinate supports:
- circular beam,
- a semi-circular beam and
- a quadrant beam.
- The beam under test is loaded with weights.
- Dial gauges record its horizontal and vertical deformations.
- All three beams have the same cross-section and so the same second moment of area.
- This enables test results to be directly compared.
- Simi-circular and circular beams are fixed to a support on the pillar.
- The quadrant beam is clamped into a support block.
- The various elements of the experiment are clearly laid-out and housed securely in a storage system.
- elastic deformation of curved-axis beams under load
- 3 different beams with the same cross-section: circular beam, semi-circular beam, quadrant beam
- support block to fix the quadrant beam
- pillar with support for mounting the circular or semi-circular beam
- 3 dial gauges to record the horizontal and vertical deformation
- storage system to house the components
- radius: approx. 150mm
- cross-section WxH: 20x5mm
- material: steel, galvanised
- measuring range: 0…20mm
- graduation: 0,01mm
- 1x 1N (hanger)
- 2x 2N
- 1x 5N
- 1x 10N
- 4x 20N
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 400x300x650mm
- Weight: approx. 21kg
- L x W x H: 1170x480x178mm (storage system)
- bending behaviour of a curved-axis beam
- circular beam
- semi-circular beam
- quadrant beam
- application of the principle of virtual forces (the force method) to calculate deformation
- second moment of area
- comparison of calculated and measured deformations
Scope of Delivery:
- 1 base plate with pillar
- 3 beams
- 3 dial gauges
- 1 set of weights
- 2 hexagon socket wrenches
- 1 storage system with foam inlay
- 1 set of instructional material
- circular, semi-circular and quadrant beams
Optional: WP 300.09 Laboratory trolley
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.