application of the method of sections to determine the bending moment
- WP 962consists of a beam mounted on two supports which is subjected to point loads.
- The beam is cut at one point.
- At that point there is a low-friction hinge with one degree of freedom.
- The bending moment occurring at the section is recorded by a force gauge acting on a fixed lever arm.
- An adjuster nut on the force gauge is used to align the beam horizontally and balance out any lowering.
- The reactions are determined from the static conditions of equilibrium.
- To investigate the effect of the point loads in the beam, it is notionally split into two segments.
- Applying the method of sections, the internal forces and moments are plotted onto the two segments and calculated by way of conditions of equilibrium.
- investigation of bending moment on beam mounted on 2 supports
- indication of bending moment in beam by low-friction hinge with 1 degree of freedom
- position of hinge at 1/3 span
- 2 bearing supports
- loading of beam by 1-to-3-point loads
- force gauge and lever arm to indicate bending moment
- adjuster nut for horizontal alignment of beam
- storage system to house the components
- total length: 1100mm
- span: 800mm
Bending moment measuring range: ±10Nm
- 3x 1N (weight holder)
- 3x 1N (hanger), 12x 1N, 9x 5N
- weight per hanger and weight holder: 20N
Dimensions & Weight:
- L x W x H: 1100x320x540mm (assembled)
- L x W x H: 1180x490x180mm (storage system)
- Total weight: approx. 40kg
- calculation of the reactions arising from the static conditions of equilibrium
- application of the method of sections to calculate the internal moments
- under a point load
- under multiple point loads
- calculation of the bending moment curve
- comparison of calculated and measured bending moment values
Scope of Delivery:
- 1 experimental unit
- 1 set of weights
- 1 set of accessories
- 1 storage system with foam inlay
- 1 set of instructional material
· Optional: WP 300.09 Laboratory trolley
Due to the continuous development of our products, the goods supplied may vary in detail to that illustrated on this Website.