Laboratory Equipment Supplies (PTY) LTD was established in 1987 and quickly developed into a family business. We value our customers greatly and would value you joining our family network.
Our Company specialises in Mining and Civil Engineering – Material Testing Laboratory Equipment, Chemical, Glassware and glassblowing, Laboratory Instruments and Equipment as well as laboratory consumables.
We have built our business around service and strive to provide the best possible product for the application. In doing so, we rely on our skilled team of engineers and our suppliers whom themselves alongside us, have invested countless hours and funding into product development to ensure we produce and can supply the best product possible.
Our Dynamic cone penetrometer DCP, Concrete Cube Press, Laboratory Filter Press, Rotary / Cascade Sample Dividers RSD, Riffler, Sample Splitters, Rolls Drives, Leach Rollers, Pulveriser Mills, Sample Cutters, Sieve Shakers, Ball and Rod Mills, Marshall Press, CBR Press, CBR Compactor, Bitumen Penetrometer, Concrete Cube Moulds and been tried and tested in our industry and have exceeded our expectations, as well as those of our valued customers.
With our valuable onsite machining and boiler making facilities, which boast CNC machinery, Mig and Tig welding, we are able to maintain, repair, refurbish and modify most equipment to our client’s requirements. We specialise in mild steel and stainless steel machining and fabrication and set ourselves high standards in quality. These are the same standards that we judge our suppliers on, in order to guarantee that we supply our clients with only the best.
We are able to calibrate your equipment and provide you with SANAS certificates, onsite and off, depending on the equipment and the circumstance.
Our friendly and enthusiastic sales team is standing by, ready and eager to meet and assist you. So please, give us a call and let us take care of your laboratory requirements, so you can take care of your business and clients.
TRL DCP – DYNAMIC CONE PENETROMETER (LES-DCP)
The TRL Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) Supplied by Laboratory Equipment Supplies is an instrument designed for the rapid in-situ measurement of the structural properties of existing road pavements constructed of unbound materials.
- The robust and simple design means that the DCP is quick and easy to use, portable and suitable for use in locations where access may be difficult.
- Correlations have been established between measurements with the DCP and conventional in-situ CBR so that results can be interpreted and compared with CBR specifications for pavement design.
- A typical DCP test takes only a few minutes and therefore the instrument provides a very efficient method of obtaining information which would normally require the digging of test pits.
Method of use:
- The 8 kg DCP free fall hammer is lifted and dropped through a height of 575mm.
- The distance of penetration of the cone tip is then recorded and the cycle repeated.
- Continuous measurements can be made down to a depth of approx. 1000mm or when extension shafts are fitted to a maximum recommended depth of 2 meters.
- Where sub-pavement layers have different strengths, the boundaries can be identified and the thickness determined.
The Basic CBR Test:
- The California Bearing Ratio, believe it or not, was developed by The California State Highways Department.
- It is in essence a simple penetration test developed to evaluate the strength of road subgrades.
- This consists of causing a plunger of standard area to penetrate a soil sample, (this can be in the laboratory or on site).
- The force (load) required to cause the penetration is plotted against measured penetration, the readings noted at regular time intervals.
- This information is plotted on a standard graph, and the plot of the test data will establish the CBR result of the soil tested.
Reason for CBR Test:
- It sounds complicated, but the basis behind it is quite simple.
- We are determining the resistance of the subgrade, (i.e., the layer of naturally occurring material upon which the road is built), to deformation under the load from vehicle wheels.
- Even more simply put, ‘How strong is the ground upon which we are going to build the road’.
- THE CBR TEST IS A WAY OF PUTTING A FIGURE ON THIS INHERENT STRENGTH, THE TEST IS DONE IN A STANDARD MANNER SO WE ARE ABLE TO COMPARE THE STRENGTHS OF DIFFERENT SUBGRADE MATERIALS, AND WE ARE ABLE TO USE THESE FIGURES AS A MEANS OF DESIGNING THE ROAD PAVEMENT REQUIRED FOR A PARTICULAR STRENGTH OF SUBGRADE.
- The stronger the subgrade (the higher the CBR reading) the less thick it is necessary to design and construct the road pavement, this gives a considerable cost saving.
- We can also supply spares and repair your DCP.
- Our basic DCP kit comes complete with everything needed for a 1-meter test.
- Supplied with spanners, Allen key, weight & cone. (DCP test)
- Optional DCP extension rod enables the testing depth to be extended by 1 meter.
- 60° DCP cone
- 8kg DCP weight
- 575mm drop height
- Testing depth to 1000mm
- DCP Extension rods available for depths up to 2 or even 3 meters
- Portable and easy to operate
- DCP Tests can be carried out in minutes
- DCP Results correlate well with conventional CBR readings
- Our DCP is a well proven, robust design